Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We Said Goodbye to Jonah...

Some of you might already know this information, but I decided I was finally ready to put it down on paper. On December 15, 2008 we had to make a decision to put down Jonah. He developed a cold and was not fighting it off like the other kitties were, so we took him into the vet. They gave him medication, but he just seemed to be getting worse. Our vet suggested we take him into the critical care unit and so we did, only to find out that he had an enlarged heart, 1 non working kindney, and a small stone in his bladder that could cause a blockage if not taken out. This was all on top of the fact that he had a really bad cold. The vets suggested we get him through his cold and then have surgery to remove the bladder stone and dead kidney. Then we would start him on medication for his heart and see how things went. They didn't think that he would make it more than a couple years even after all this, so we were very saddened by the news. They gave him some fluids and told us to feed him baby food through a syringe so he could get the nutrients he needed since he refused to eat. A couple days later he would still not eat and seemed to be getting worse so we took him back in and they administered some more fluids and put him in an oxygen tank to try and clear out his sinuses. We took him home only to take him back the next day to have them put a feeding tube in since he was not eating anything. We left him there intending to be back in a few hours to pick him up, but the vet called us saying they redid his blood work and he was in full renal failure. At this point there was nothing they could do for him because they could not put him under with his vitals like this. He was in pain and uncomfortable and they explained that he would not make it much longer being in full renal failure. After many tears Jackie and I decided it would be best to let him go and take away the pain. I really believe this is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and I have had a few hard things to go through in my life. Jonah was only 3 and a half years old.

His buddy, Hannah, has not been the same since then. Ever since we brought her and her sister home almost 2 years ago, Hannah has been inseperable from Jonah. She was lost without him and would cry for him all the time. Even though it has been a few months now, just writing this has brought it all to the surface again. I know he is in a better place, but we definitely miss him very much! Goodbye Jonah

4 comments:

Amber said...

I am sorry about Jonah! What a pretty cat! It is hard to say goodbye to our pets because they are such a part of the family, especially when you think you have several more years!

How is the house - I have been waiting for some pics :-) How is school going? Say Hi to Jackie!

Karmen said...

Mom told me about Jonah shortly after this all happened, but I'm sorry! :) He was a cool cat. I always got a kick out of the fact that my mom (not really being a pet person of any kind) would always end up with big ol' Jonah snuggled up either by her head or her lap. She didn't mind and he must've really liked her :) Poor Hannah! sad to see pets go through the same emotions (and sicknesses) as us.

Coriander said...

Sorry to hear about Jonah! I'm sure this has been hard! I dread the day something happens to Kate's cat. She loves him so! Hard to say goodbye..

Anonymous said...

Come on you don't want to make me anything... I am regreting it but so far I only have a few takers! And can I say WAY TO GO!!! That is an awesome 1st week, stick to it... it works and when you make goal you can go for free!! Keep me posted!